Samantha Bridgland is a Credentialled Diabetes Educator (CDE), Certified Insulin pump Trainer (CPT) and a Registered Nurse. She has worked with patients and their families with diabetes for several years. She has worked at the Royal Children’s Hospital and at the Western Hospital as a CDE. Samantha currently works at Epworth Hospital in Richmond as the sole Diabetes Educator and continues to see children, adolescents and adults with all forms of diabetes.
Samantha brings with her vast experience and knowledge about diabetes (Type 1, Type 2, Steroid Induced, Pre diabetes and Gestational Diabetes) and is passionate about patient education. She also has great experience educating and managing women with gestational diabetes.
Samantha is also a Certified pump Trainer which means, with the oversight of an Endocrinologist, she can commence people on and provide education on Insulin pump therapy and Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM). Samantha can assist patients with ongoing support, management and education regarding diabetes.
Here’s an insight into what Education can be provided:
- Education regarding Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Pre Diabetes, Insulin Resistance,
Steroid induced diabetes, Gestational Diabetes
- Education and implementation of new technologies such as CGM and Insulin pump
- Ongoing review of management and desired outcomes
- Review of overall lifestyle considerations (diet, weight, medication, insulin etc.)
- Insulin dose adjustment education
- BGL control and exercise
- Driving and diabetes
- Equipment for ongoing management – meters, needles, record books etc
- Education regarding commencement of insulin or other injectable
- Assist with self-management of blood glucose levels and insulin dose adjustment – for
acute phases of hyperglycaemia (eg. Steroid Induced Diabetes) and long term patients
(Type 1, Type 2)
- Provide patients with motivation and discuss alternatives to current treatment in order
to improve HbA1c and Time in range
- Promote self-management and early intervention.
Samantha is committed to supporting patients and their families with life-long skills required for
positive health outcomes.